News & Insights
Who we are
Gide Loyrette Nouel (Gide) is a premier international law firm and the first to have originated in France in 1920. Gide, with its 600 lawyers including some 100 partners, drawn from 35 different nationalities, offers some of the most respected specialists in national and international corporate law. In each of its 14 offices in Europe, Asia, North America and Africa, the firm provides its clients with comprehensive knowledge of local markets, regional expertise, and the resources of an international law firm.
Investing abroad can be a complex and challenging journey. Our global experience and reach provides Gide with an exceptional platform to assist investors from Asia (including China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea and Singapore) with their go-global investment and business strategy, assisting you to smoothly navigate a path through these hurdles.
Widely regarded as one of the leading players in Europe and Africa, we have a long history of advising clients on major investments, M&A transactions and projects across the globe. With award-winning expertise in Outbound Investment, Gide has an extensive track record and comprehensive capabilities to guide Asian investors through all aspects of their investments abroad.
Links throughout the world
Combined with strong and established relationships with other leading law firms around the world, we can provide assistance to Asian private and public organisations on matters across Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, North America, South America, in both civil law and common law countries.
Gide services a healthy mix of big-ticket European and Chinese clients.
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015
Tailored expertise for Asian investors
Gide provides Asian companies and organisations with an enhanced platform for outbound investment from Asia, offering:
- Deep experience and technical acumen providing specialised and seamless cross-border advice to Asian investors on the most complex, challenging and diverse global M&A and project transactions
- A large, cross-border, cross-disciplinary team of lawyers with specialist expertise in Asian outbound investment, including an established and experienced Outbound Investment Desk in Paris which offers dedicated support to Asian investors in Europe and Africa
- Direct contact with experts both in Asia and abroad, with our Asian offices playing a critical role as a contact point “on the ground” and acting as bridge to connect clients with our experts in other countries
- A commitment to serve our clients effectively and cost efficiently, and offering practical, timely and business-focused solutions
A strong understanding of the Chinese legal system and Chinese cultural issues affecting foreign investors.
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014
Access our global network of offices
- Asia: Beijing (China) | Shanghai (China) | Hong Kong (China) | Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)
- Europe: Brussels (Belgium) | Istanbul (Turkey) | London (United Kingdom) | Moscow (Russia) | Paris (France) | Warsaw (Poland)
- Africa: Algiers (Algeria) | Casablanca (Morocco) | Tunis (Tunisia)
- North America: New York (United States)
Recognised expertise on the management of high-value, complex public and private M&A transactions. Team advises both French and international clients on inbound and outbound cross-border M&A matters, as well as a variety of other corporate issues. Lawyers are noted for their specific experience of matters related to industry, retail and the banking and finance sector. Strengths: 'A firm that combines French culture with international standards.' 'A leading outfit with consistent quality across the firm'.
Chambers Europe 2015
- Advising HNA Tourism Group, the tourism division of the Chinese conglomerate HNA Group, which notably owns and operates airlines, hotels, tour operators, financial activities and internet services, on its 10% equity investment in Euronext Paris-listed Pierre et Vacances SA.
- Advising the Agricultural Bank of China, one of China’s Big Four banks, on the establishment of the Sino-Congolese Bank for Africa (BSCA), a new universal commercial bank in the Republic of Congo, along with the Congolese government and other public and private partners
- Advising Golden Concord Holding Limited (GCL), a Chinese integrated energy group that specializes in clean and new energy, on the setting up of a power plant project in Tanzania
- Advising the China-Africa Development Fund (CADFund), the first fund in China focusing on investment in Africa, on the acquisition of a forest exploitation company in Gabon
- Advising China Exim Bank in relation to the financing of the sale of Alcatel-Lucent's subsidiary Alcatel-Lucent Entreprise to China Huaxin Post & Telecommunication Economic Development Center.
- Advising Kweichow Moutai, China's leading distillery, traded on the Shanghai Stock Exchange, on the acquisition of Château Loudenne, a winery in Saint-Yzans-de-Médoc (Cru Bourgeois Supérieur), France.
- Advising Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank on the USD 1.252 billion sale of leading brokerage / securities group CLSA to CITIC Securities International Company Limited, part of major Chinese investment bank CITIC Securities Company Limited
- Advising King Power Group, a Hong Kong / Thai retail conglomerate based in, on the acquisition of Château Bernadotte from Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande (part of the Champagne Louis Roederer group)
- Advising COFCO, the Chinese agribusiness group, on the acquisition of Château de Viaud, a leading vineyard set in the Lalande-de-Pomerol wine growing area in Bordeaux, France
- Advising Soluxe International, a subsidiary of China Huayou Group Corporation (owned by China National Petroleum Corporation), on a USD 150 million construction and development project in the Republic of Chad
- Advising Taiyuan Iron & Steel Group (TISCO), China’s largest stainless steel producer, on a USD 300 million investment in three Turkish mining companies
- Advising a major Chinese company in the course of a USD 6 billion development of an iron ore mine in Gabon and related railroads, deep sea harbour and hydropower station construction projects
- Assisting NTN Corporation, a Japanese listed company, on the acquisition of SNR Roulements, a subsidiary of Renault SAS, in France
- Advising an Australian sponsor on its project to purchase a wind farm in France
- Advising a Hong Kong-based investment fund on the acquisition of a large dairy farm in Ukraine
What we do
Banking & Finance
Banking and Finance law is one of Gide's key areas of expertise. Numbering some 170 lawyers in our offices throughout the world, our Banking & Finance practice a comprehensive range of services to meet the full spectrum of banking and finance issues faced by our clients with a focus on French, U.K. and U.S. law, complemented by local law expertise from our international network.
Real Estate Transactions & Financing
The real estate market has gained in complexity and structure in the past few decades, with extensive financialisation, more complex players, and an increasing number of regulations and court rulings. Gide's team dedicated to real estate operations, set up in 1971, enjoys recognised expertise in all legal and tax issues likely to affect real estate players.
Public and Administrative Law
Gide's public and administrative law team was set up 25 years ago, with some 20 specialised lawyers now working out of our Paris office. We offer an operational service to businesses, administrations and major public bodies.
Projects (Finance & Infrastructure)
Major industrial and public infrastructure has been one of Gide's core practices since the 1960s. Gide was initially involved in major international arbitration cases, before broadening its practice to the transactional aspect of infrastructure projects. Since the Channel Tunnel, the Projects team's transactional practice has grown to cover all continents, all sectors of activity and all financing methods.
Mergers & Acquisitions / Corporate
In each of the 14 countries in which we are present, we are a major player in mergers & acquisitions (M&A) and corporate law (except in the USA and Belgium). The skills of our practice group cover the full range of essential M&A practices, ranging from public takeover offers to private equity, via dispute resolution and restructurings, in the most diverse sectors of activity.
Insurance, Industrial Risk & Transport
With around thirty specialist lawyers based both in Paris and in our international offices, Gide's Insurance, Industrial Risk & Transport practice group is a multi-disciplinary team with renowned expertise.
In most countries, employment law is becoming increasingly intricate, with courts rendering the practice more complex still by adding their interpretation of the law to the mix, thereby adding to the complexity of managing the application of employment laws. First and foremost, Gide's lawyers look to find the best operational solutions for our clients, in line with applicable legislation, regulations and case law.
Gide has an outstanding reputation for resolving challenging, high-value disputes through litigation, arbitration and ADR. We combine legal excellence with pragmatism and approachability. Drawing on our international network and our full service capabilities, we provide comprehensive and multicultural expertise.
Competition & International Trade
When we set up an office in Brussels in 1967, Gide was a pioneer in international competition and trade law. Ever since then, our Firm has consolidated and expanded its expertise in this field of law, both within and outside Europe. We understand that competition and trade laws bear particularly high stakes for our clients, and we strive to help them gain a better understanding of these laws so that they may use them to enhance their development.
Intellectual property has been one of the firm's core activities for the past 40 years. In most of our offices, specialist practitioners assist clients throughout the development of their intangible assets, from the birth of intellectual property rights through to their exploitation, and their defense. We have also acquired a high level of expertise on legal questions raised by digital communication means, i.e. media, IT and new information technology laws, as well as in telecommunication law.
Gide's expertise extends to all areas of taxation: the tax aspects of corporate restructuring and regrouping, assisting with tax audits and obtaining tax approvals, criminal tax law, international tax law, real estate taxation and the taxation of large fortunes.
Our integrated team of 23 lawyers in China benefits from a large and active China Desk in Paris.
Specialists of China : Partners
Our 600 lawyers, including some 100 partners, drawn from 35 different nationalities and representing 41 of the world's bar associations, are recognised as being among the most talented specialists in all fields of national and international business law.
Where we work
Wherever we work in the world, be it Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, the Americas, Asia, Africa, the Mediterranean and Middle East region, we guarantee our clients perfect knowledge of the local markets, regional expertise and the resources of a truly international firm.